Hi readers! I’m Marysa, your new recipe creator/provider here on Small Chick Big Deals. I can’t wait to share my food creations with you. While I was in college, I became really good at cooking healthy, filling, delicious meals while staying on a budget. Now that I’ve graduated, I try to make things that can be easily modified for dietary restrictions or simply by using ingredients you already have at home. A few things you should know about me: I put hot sauce on almost everything I eat and I love avocados. 😉
The first recipe I want to share with you is a “frittata” that I made for an annual New Year’s Day brunch with my family. It’s a baked egg recipe filled with fresh veggies and delicious spices. Don’t let that scare you, though! I have step by step instructions (plus photos) for you to follow.
If you have never cooked a spaghetti squash, stay right here. If you have cooked spaghetti squash, scroll down a bit. I recommend cooking the spaghetti squash the day before making this. Shred the entire thing and put it in a large tupperware in the fridge. It makes the recipe a lot faster if you have the squash ready beforehand.
Cooking a spaghetti squash:
- Using a sharp knife, stab the spaghetti squash a few times so that it can “breathe” while it’s cooking.
- Place the spaghetti squash in a microwave for about 15 minutes
- Slice it from top to bottom, let is sit open faced and cool a bit
- Take a spoon and scoop out the nasty stuff that we won’t be eating
- Then use a fork and start “shredding” the inside. Notice how it becomes stringy like spaghetti?
- 2.5 cups spaghetti squash
- 3 cups chopped spinach
- 2 whole zucchinis, grated
- 5 eggs
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of basil
- pinch of oregano
- pinch of salt
- pinch of pepper
- 11 x 13 tray (approximate something close and you’ll be fine!)
- mozzarella cheese (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease your baking tray.
- In a bowl, scramble your eggs. Then add in spices. Mix and set aside.
- Grate your zucchinis while letting 1 tbsp of olive oil heat in a skillet.
- In your skillet, “stir fry” your spinach and zucchini until the spinach is wilted. It will shrink down A LOT…that’s okay!
- Mix in your spaghetti squash so that the veggies are nice and tossed.
- In a lightly greased tray, layer the bottom with your veggie mix.
- Then, if you want to use mozzarella, add a light layer.
- Add the rest of your veggies above the cheese.
- Pour your egg mixture over the entire tray. Do this slowly because it will take a few seconds to seep in.
- If desired, add another layer of cheese.
- Put it in the oven until the top is golden brown. It will take about 30 minutes. To make sure it’s cooked entirely, stick a toothpick in the middle of the frittata. If it comes out clean, it’s done.