Last week, Playboy hosted a Super Bowl party by Crown Royal with help from Louisiana brand and sponsor, Tabasco Original Red Sauce. Tabasco welcomed both celebrities and athletes to celebrate the biggest sports weekend, along with DJs Jesse Marco, Devin Lucien, and a performance by B.o.B. Celebrity chef John Besh, who has won a James Beard Award and owns nine acclaimed restaurants, served delicious food seasoned with Tabasco. Below is his outstanding recipe for Buffaleaux Sliders, which were served at this celeb-studded party. Happy eating!
BUFFALEAUX SLIDERS Created by: Chef John Besh (makes 8 servings)
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup Tabasco brand Spicy Pepper Jelly
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons Tabasco brand Buffalo Style Hot Sauce
- Salt to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped, cooked meat, such as chuck roast or pork shoulder
- 16 slider buns, toasted
- Bibb lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
Fried Onion Rings:
- 2 cups canola oil
- 1 cup flour 2 red onions, sliced into thin rings
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco brand Original Red Sauce
- Salt to taste
For the sauce:
- Heat the canola oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add onions and cook until browned.
- Stirring constantly, add the ketchup, Tabasco jelly, vinegar, honey, Tabasco Buffalo sauce, salt, and pepper and cook until warmed through.
- Either use immediately, or store in the refrigerator for a few days.
For the slider:
- Warm the sauce in a medium saucepan and add the meat.
- Stirring well, cook for about 5 minutes, until the sauce and meat are heated through.
For the fried onion rings:
- Heat the canola oil in a large saucepan to 350˚ F on a candy thermometer.
- Mix salt into the flour and spread on a plate.
- In a separate bowl, toss sliced onions in Tabasco sauce.
- Dredge the onion rings in the flour and drop them, one by one, into the oil.
- Cook only a few at a time, until the rings are golden.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
To assemble the sandwiches, toast the buns, spoon the saucy meat onto the buns and top with onion rings, lettuce, and tomato slices.